REGULATIONS FOR FILMING OR PHOTOGRAPHING ON MIAMI-DADE COUNTY TRANSIT PROPERTY
All film or photography permit requests for Miami-Dade County Department of Transit and Public Works (DTPW) property including the MetroRail, MetroMover or MetroBus, must start and end with the Miami-Dade County Office of Film & Entertainment.
Any attempt to contact any other department or Transit entity could result in an automatic denial of your request. All Requests to film on Transit or the surrounding property must go through the Miami-Dade Office of Film & Entertainment.
The Federal Government has implemented new procedures regarding incidental uses on Transit. The Federal Government requires that all filming, photographing and basecamp requests are required to be presented to the Federal Government by the Miami-Dade County Department of Transit and Public Works (DTPW) for approval prior to obtaining final approval. THIS PROCESS CAN TAKE UP TO 30 DAYS. Additionally, DTPW is now required to administer a $100.00 Transit fee for filming on all DTPW property. This includes buses, trains, transit parking garages and transit parking lots and the plaza on the east side of Government Center.
Below is the process for requesting a film permit for DTPW property:
- Apply for a film/photo permit at http://filmiami.org/permits.asp
- Send a letter of intent on company letterhead to the Miami-Dade County Office of Film & Entertainment to both firstname.lastname@example.org and Jeanie.Lisenby@miamidade.gov. The letter of intent must contain the following information:
- Location - include all possible areas you wish to film
- Detailed description of scene
- All equipment
- Total number of people on set
- Approximate economic impact brought to Miami-Dade County
- Agree that production will not interfere with transit operations
- Agree to Department of Transportation and Public Works Filming Regulations http://www.filmiami.org/transit_regulations.asp
- Agree that all costs will be reimbursed to Department of Transportation and Public Works (Train cost, labor costs, DTPW security costs, electric costs, etc.) – all costs are paid prior to film date. Additionally $100 fee to film on the transit system – all costs are paid prior to film date. Make checks payable to the Department of Transportation & Public Works and can be dropped off at the Miami-Dade County Office of Film & Entertainment.
- Once the Department of Transportation and Public Works obtains approval from the Federal Government, the Miami-Dade Office of Film & Entertainment can move forward with the Transit-issued access letter and film permit. Projects approved on a case by case basis. Special conditions apply to each individual request. Pre-production or walk through meeting may be required. Projects must specify which station (MetroBus, MetroRail or MetroMover) to be used for filming or photo. You may refer to the DTPW website for detailed information on MetroBus, MetroRail or MetroMover stations and routes. http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/
- Production must hire and pre-pay for security officer(s), and this process is coordinated through the Miami-Dade County Office of Film & Entertainment. The number of officers is determined by the scope of the project and crew count. FEES APPLY FOR ALL OFFICERS.
- Production must have general liability insurance naming Miami-Dade County additionally insured for $1,000,000. For insurance details and a list of insurance companies go to http://filmiami.org/insurance_information.asp
- The film permit fee is $100 and can be paid online with a credit card or e-check. It can also be paid in person with cash or check at the Miami-Dade County Office of Film & Entertainment.
- Once all payments have been made and security arranged, the Miami-Dade County Office of Film & Entertainment will issue a film permit along with an access letter from the Department of Transportation and Public Works. Both the film permit and the access letter are required to be approved prior to the commencement of filming or photographing on Miami-Dade County transit properties.
TRANSIT DATE AND LOCATION PREFERENCES
The preferred days for filming/photographing on the MetroRail of MetroMover are Saturdays and Sundays. The preferred MetroRail Station for filming on a stationary train is the Palmetto Station. The preferred MetroMover station for filming is the Museum Station. No filming during rush hour or lunch hour.